Kekuli Cafe [International Correspondent]


Bakery: Kekuli Cafe
Address: 307-3550 Carrington Rd, West Kelowna BC
Website: http://www.kekulicafe.com/
Style: Aboriginal, Canadian 
Price: $$ 

Earlier this month, I was in Kelowna for a few days and was looking for a place to have breakfast. The bakeries I had on a list given to me *rolls eyes* were all closed and I was thinking I would have to stop at just a big chain when I spotted this "don't panic we have bannock" place advertising they served breakfast. So I went.
Kekuli Cafe is an aboriginal cafe serving coffee, lighter meals like bannock burgers and Indian tacos, and, of course, bannock. Everything on the menu besides drinks incorporates bannock, whether it be sweet or savoury, and that was very interesting. I'd tried bannock at a powwow (unfortunately, the bannock tent in Moose Factory closed as soon as I got there...) and knew I liked it, but I didn't expect to see bannock made into a sweet, a sort of bannock doughnut with different toppings/varieties. It was a great idea.
I took the bannock with maple glaze and pieces of walnut on top. With this, I had their Saskatoon berry tea, which I would also highly recommend. The bannock doughnut was amazing: unlike the bannock served with the burgers and tacos, this was fatter and fluffier and it was fried and crispy on the outside with a good maple taste. The Saskatoon Berry bannock is even better -- they're amazing!

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment